The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 11:10am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Miscellaneous Topics
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   School Teacher's Query
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: School Teacher's Query  (Read 3924 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: School Teacher's Query
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 7:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Great, thanks Grammar Dawg for your critique, but I still don't understand the OP's question, so I can't help her.  Apparently, neither can you.  Glad you chose to contribute.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Cheryl
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 1:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the attention.  
The board wants a NDA that would protect the school’s teaching techniques.  They don’t want a teacher to leave next year and privately use the techniques that the school is known for.  I want a NDA that includes me in it, with the future in mind.  If I leave, I want the rights to what I created.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 2:29pm »

“The board wants a NDA that would protect the school’s teaching techniques.”

Perhaps that’s what they want, but it is nonsensical.  

Are you, as a teacher, expected to somehow teach the kids WITHOUT using the school’s teaching techniquies?  If a parent asks a question about what is going on in the classroom, are you expected to respond “NO COMMENT"?

Every nondisclosure agreement I have seen includes language to the effect that once information (that should be kept confidential) becomes publicly known (through no fault of the person who is agreeing to maintain confidence), then the agreement no longer pertains to that information.  Otherwise you would be expected to keep a “secret” that was no longer a secret.

Does the board expect that the kids will not talk about what goes on at school?

I suggest that you ask the board for a copy of their NDA so that you can review it with an attorney.

Note to the grammer guy - where I wrote "NO COMMENT"? - In that context it is correct to have the ? after the second ".
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2006, 2:31pm by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Grammar Dawg
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cheryl,
I think the general gist of your inquiry has been sufficiently clear all along. I don't have any particular information for you. It seems like your potential employer is exhibiting some flexibility and does not seem to be excluding your creative spirit. You're likely to interact here with people having engineering and science backgrounds. We're rather accustomed to signing rather draconian documents preferred by our employers. Your potential employer seems open to your presenting a document that protects your potential IP rights. It sounds refreshing to me.

You may consider getting some professional help ... and paying for the help. Of course, you may find that protecting IP rights is a resource consuming endeavor. The document you seek may could be prepared by an attorney ... for a fee. Of course, pursuing real IP protection through patent and trademark applications, if and when the time comes, will probably make that document fee seem like small potatoes. So, get ready for a habit of paying for help if you want to make money with your IP.  

I found your post interesting because I've faced the IP dilemna in considering employment documents myself. Sign the papers or lose the job is the typical treatment. It's easy to understand from an employer's point of view. So what is the potential employee to do if they already have a head full of ideas? I don't have any answers. Maybe the poster I jostled will come back with more than intentions of beating your knuckles over the form of your posts. Maybe he won't.

Good Luck!
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 4:24pm »

on Nov 29th, 2006, 2:41pm, Grammar Dawg wrote:
Cheryl,
I think the general gist of your inquiry has been sufficiently clear all along. I don't have any particular information for you.

I'd have to disagree a little.   The concerns being expressed now seem to be completely different from the ones described in the original post.   I would agree that the problem does not seem to be the OP's command of english.  

The school might legitimately be concerned about the privacy of their students (as apparently described in the first post) and the schools own intellectual property.   However, the idea that teaching methods could be presented to a classroom full of students and still be a secret sounds a bit bizarre to me so I'm left wondering what the heck the NDA is to prevent you from disclosing.

In any event, I'm not familiar with any off the shelf document I'd be comfortable with starting with.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »