The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2019, 1:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Miscellaneous Topics
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Name Usage?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Name Usage?  (Read 1375 times)
Christina

Name Usage?
« on: Mar 15th, 2006, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is there anything I can do about this...
I just googled my own name.  I am devastated.  I am a student of philosophy and have been a serious artist for about twelve  years.  I have never shown any of my work, but have not ruled out the possibility - when I am ready.  I'm still studying and developing my ideas.  In any case, there seems to be an artist in New York state, who has the same nameHuhHuh as I do.  I find that very difficult to believe.  Her work, in comparison seems gouche, boysterous and I think diminishes the relevance of what I am trying to do.  I don't think there is any comparison, but the fact that what I know as my name is being presented in such an unseemly manner is extremely offensive to me. Please help!!!
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Name Usage?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 10:19pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer.  But my partner, Michael Smith, knows exactly how you feel.  Every now and then, he finds someone using his name too.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 12:13pm »

Since you have not yet shown your work, maybe you could use a distinctive variation of your name when you get around to doing so.

There's nothing you can do aobut someone sharing your name...
IP Logged

Isaac
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 1:08pm »

I've read that actors (i.e. members of the Screen Actors Guild +/or Actors Equity) must have unique names.  Mary Tyler Moore only started using her middle name when she became a professional actor.  Apparently there was an actor named Mary Moore before her.

I wonder how often people confuse James "God Father of Soul" Brown, with Jim (football player) Brown, and James Brown the sports announcer.  

Maybe he's just one very versatile guy. Grin

Richard
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Christina

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 2:42pm »

Thank you very much for your kind responses.

The message I am getting is basically, "Grow up".  There are other reasons why I am so upset by this, but those should be easily cleared up with a few phone calls.  In 1998, some of my identification was stolen.  My horrified response to the discovery was probably at least partially influenced by that.

I like the middle name idea.  That might work.  I guess, I'm actually very lucky that my name isn't something like, Joe Smith or Mary Jones.  Sadly, that gives ample justification for the existence of things like social security and driver's licence NUMBERS.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »