The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 6:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Buy and Sell
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Motion Graphics Investment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Motion Graphics Investment  (Read 1205 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Motion Graphics Investment
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 4:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

JP, I'm not sure what you're asking.  I give free advice here all the time as appropriate.  Search for my posts and you'll find post after post where I provide substantive guidance, albeit within the limitations of a public forum.

As for your matter, I've told you in no uncertain terms that based on everything you've posted -- or at least based on my understanding of that information -- I believe you've got nothing to protect.

What exactly are you asking of me here?

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2007, 4:24pm by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Jp

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 9:26am »

Jeff,

What I meant is, . . If I came to you as a client as I presume you are an IP attorney and asked you ;

What good is a copyright ?

This may seem a simple question, but at this point I am wondering from your point of view, what advantages are availed to the copyright holder ?

How can he make the most of it ?

Certainly not by keeping it a secret, especially if he wants the advantages of public disclosure.

Jp

IP Logged

The Owner Of An Invention Usually Is The Inventor.
Jp

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 9:53am »

Jeff, May I also ad ;

According to the term derivitive works, . . when this pertains to, "works derived from the original copyright",  who has the upper hand in regards to infringement of work that is only intended to be developed or derived from the original work ?

Ref. , Copyright Basics Circular 1 :

What Works Are Protected ?

Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include motionpictures and other visual works;

Jp
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2007, 10:59am by Jp » IP Logged

Jp

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 10:27am »

Jeff,  
may I also add, the following about fair use ;

" Just where fair use leaves off copying begins is a matter of the judge's opinion in each case; there is no definite rule for locating the dividing line."  

Examples are:
for a critic , in reviewing a book, play or a motion picture, to outline the contents and even qoute excerpts from the work is fair use.  

But for the writer of an article or a book for the purpose of illustrating or emphasizing some point in the article is copying.  

Stating the source of the quotation does not alter matters. It is fair use for a writer to use or restate particular facts contained in a book intended as a work of reference, such as a textbook, a handbook, a dictionary, a directory etc.  

But it is copying to take a single dictionary, handbook, or similar work, and write a reference work of the same kind based entirely upon one source."

Jp
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2007, 11:37am by Jp » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »