The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2019, 3:16pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Domain Name Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Theft or unathorised transfer of domain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Theft or unathorised transfer of domain  (Read 906 times)
buyfred

Theft or unathorised transfer of domain
« on: Sep 7th, 2007, 3:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I purchaced a domain name in may for $250. Had other things going on so i didnt do anything with it since june but i knew it was expiring on 20th october 2007 so i logged in and it had been transfered to another company. Its still with the same registrar i think who  are supposed to be getting back to me but is this something thats allowed to happen?

Thanks,
Ian
IP Logged
still_studying

Re: Theft or unathorised transfer of domain
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Generally not, unless you were cybersquatting, in which case you should have been contacted as part of the dispute resolution process.

However, the price you mention for registering a domain name is so high that I wonder if you registered it through one of the companies that spams its ads and then registers it "for you", rather than going directly through a registrar.  I know a couple of small businesses where the business owner jumped on a "fantastic bargain" for domain registration and hosting that they got in an email spam, only to find out that they were stuck renting the name at an inflated price from the spammer for all eternity.

Alternately, if you purchased it from an individual who had already registered it (e.g., someone had taken the name, but you liked it and wanted it for your business, so you cut a deal with the person), the transfer might not have been done correctly, either through error or (less likely) deliberately.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »