The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2019, 7:52pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Litigation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   LOOKING FOR A GOOD BOOK ON PATENT LITIGATION
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: LOOKING FOR A GOOD BOOK ON PATENT LITIGATION  (Read 1377 times)
zethus25

zethus25

LOOKING FOR A GOOD BOOK ON PATENT LITIGATION
« on: Dec 24th, 2007, 3:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have prosecuted patent applications for the last 6 years.  I have wanted to switch over to patent litigation for some time, however the only litigation experience I am able to get from my firm job is document review and modest privilege log work.  Itís seems like a catch-22, itís hard to get ďrealĒ litigation work without first knowing a little something about patent litigation.  Itís also hard to get litigation work with a full prosecution docket, but thatís a whole other ball of wax.  In any event, I intend to eventually drop my docket and work in patent litigation l or take on a litigation position at another firm.  

I have decided that rather than spend years fighting and clawing to get even the slightest bit of litigation work, I would devote some time to learning the basics on my own.  Does anyone know of a good book (or alternatively, website) where I can learn the basics about patent litigation from the start of a law suit, all the way through to conclusion of trial?  I am particularly interested in a text that offers sample patent litigation documents.  My goal is to familiarize myself with every step of patent litigation so that I will have seen the documents and I can be best prepared when I finally make the switch from prosecution to litigation.

Keep in mind I am not a beginner to patent law, just a beginner to patent litigation and, furthermore, getting on-the-job experience is not currently an option.

Thanks
IP Logged
Sandeep
Re: LOOKING FOR A GOOD BOOK ON PATENT LITIGATION
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 5:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

A book for patent litigation starters that I recommend is:
"Patent Litigation Strategies Handbook" published by BNA Books.

NOTE: I am NON US Patent Attorney and have experience only in pharmaceutical patents.
I found the book great for coverage/ understanding of US patent litigation.

Regards,
GenericIPguy

genericpharmaceuticals [dot] blogspot [dot] com
IP Logged
bcapehart

Email

Re: LOOKING FOR A GOOD BOOK ON PATENT LITIGATION
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 4:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Zethus -  

How involved in litigation do you want to go?  First chair, second, etc.?  I ask because patent litigation involves different skill sets.  Your prosecution background would aid in the patent law-specific issues, i.e. infringement, invalidity, etc.  However, if you have never been involved with trial work, you may not have developed those specific skills, i.e. discovery practice, depositions, motion practice, trial practice.  I mention this as you may want to evaluate your skills when looking for educational material.

The BNA materials mentioned above are a good start.  Does your firm library, or any of the litigation attorneys, have any reference books you could look over?

Just a suggestion on your limited litigation experience, ask if you could assist in rendering an infringement opinion.  This would play to your patent knowledge and away from your lack of litigation experience.  

Best of luck,
Brent
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2007, 4:54pm by bcapehart » IP Logged

Brent A. Capehart
Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
bcapehart@ozarklawyer.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »