The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 15th, 2019, 8:47pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Litigation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Law Review Article Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Law Review Article Question  (Read 890 times)
Hipnikker
Law Review Article Question
« on: Aug 27th, 2007, 7:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am considering writing a Law Review article which would basically argue for overturning Markman.  While I am still researching the relevant articles and substance on point, I am wondering if there is some substantive argument that blows my position off the map.

Anyway, my position is that a jury should be used at the trial court level to construe patent claims.  Furthermore, greater deference should be given to such findings.  Basically, the only questions that would be submitted to a jury would be those where the evidence leaves something to be desired with respect to claim interpretation.

I am wondering what people think?  Can anyone refer me to any articles have already taken my point of view.

What major obstacles are there to my point of view?
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Law Review Article Question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 2:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No specific articles, but, if I recall correctly, the concept behind the Markman hearing is that the court construes the meaning of the terms of a legal document (e.g., contract and patent).  Since that concept is pretty solidly entrenched, you'll have to overcome that idea.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2007, 2:19am by Bill Richards » IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: Law Review Article Question
« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are you pretty set on that topic?   Unless I read your question incorrectly, I am not sure that allowing a jury to construe claims is a good idea.  And arguing it may prove to be an excersize in futility.

Claim construction is a matter of law.  I think that is requires special training, practice etc.   It also gives a sense of uniformity to this as opposed to a jury.

Regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »