The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2019, 6:55pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Litigation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   invalidation re new matters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: invalidation re new matters  (Read 942 times)
freemode

invalidation re new matters
« on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a PRC patent attorney and would like to know in US patent law, what's the consequence if you added new matters in prosecution.  

Will it render the whole patent (all the claims) invalid or only those claims that are "affected" by the new matters invalid?

in PRC we have no question if the violating amendments were made to a specific claim.  That very claim will be invalidated.  Questions arise when the amendments were made to the spec.

As an extreme example, my spec is poorly drafted.  The former part is relevent to the claims while the latter part is totally taking about something else.  I was more stupid to add new matters to the latter part in prosecution.  The examiner didn't find it and issued a patent.  So what's the consequence for that addition?  Will it make all my claims invalidated, although the claims are totally irrelevant to the addition?
IP Logged
patentsusa

Re: invalidation re new matters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 10:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My best guess is that if the patent was enforced, a claim that is supported only by new matter would be invalid.  I would also guess that even if the new matter is not required to support any of the claims, there is still some chance that the entire patent would be ruled invalid, particularly if there are other problems with the patent.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2007, 10:21pm by patentsusa » IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »