The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2019, 6:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Inventors
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   ABC's American Inventor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABC's American Inventor  (Read 2788 times)
Jonathan

ABC's American Inventor
« on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Simon Cowell will supposedly be hosting a new reality show where inventors show their goods and America can vote to determine a winner -  

http://abc.go.com/primetime/americaninventor/index.html

I bet anyone that compete's in this competition probably needs to sign away some of their rights in the event they win.
IP Logged
listenup77

Re: ABC's American Inventor
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:48pm »

Wouldn't something like having your invention put on national TV cause your idea to be challenged, by maybe hundreds of people attempting to do work arounds? I mean publicity is good for the marketing, but it just seems like not a great idea to make your product part of a reality show. If the show bombs, then your product will be associated with failure. What do you guys think?
IP Logged
listenup77

« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 2:02am »

Don't know if anyone is thinking of doing this, but your should read the fine line.

From the site: http://abc.go.com/primetime/americaninventor/eligibilty.html

Inventor Eligibility Requirements:  

7. Inventors must complete and sign the Participant Agreement and Release, in which among other things, Inventor agrees to release, defend and indemnify Producer and ABC (and their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated entities and their respective directors, officers, shareholders, agents, representatives and employees) from and against any claims or expenses arising from or relating to the Inventor's participation or appearance in the Program, the Invention's appearance in the Program, or Producer's exercise of any rights granted by Inventor, whether occurring before, during or after Inventor's participation in the Program, including, without limitation, claims for patent or trademark infringement.  

8. Inventors must also specifically acknowledge that, separate and apart from this Program, Producer, ABC, Inc., The Walt Disney Company and their respective subsidiaries and affiliates are currently in the process of designing new products, developing new business plans and methods for conducting business, etc., and agree that **the Inventor will not at any time seek any legal remedies against these entities for their independent development, acquisition, manufacture or distribution of any product/service/method similar or identical to that of the Inventor.
IP Logged
sariloren

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 5:37pm »

I had just found out about the American Inventor show and I am a new inventor with a product that has a provisional patent and a trademark application.  

I thought it would be good publicity and a good experience to try out for the show but now I am thinking twice.

In looking at the fine line here it all goes over my head. Give me the basic terms of what that means. If I am reading it correctly it sounds like they can steal your idea right from under you and you can't take any legal action.

thoughts?

Sari
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 7:07pm »

In my reading the language does not imply that they will steal your idea.

Anyone who accepts invention submissions runs a risk of being sued for stealing the idea.  Company's who are doing their own R&D are foolish not to protect themselves against receiving a submission that matches up even roughly with something they are already doing.

In this case the company hosting the show belongs to a conglomeration of company's and does not want to torpedo themselves.  If they actually did steal your idea, nothing in the agreement prevents you from suing.  You are prevented from suing them for things they did not steal from you.

Unfortuntately the agreement seems not to acknowledge any patent rights you might have in your invention.  Even independent invention is not a defense against patent infringement.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »