The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 3:50pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Wood Art
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wood Art  (Read 1095 times)
E. L. Shumaker
Wood Art
« on: Apr 25th, 2006, 1:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dear knowledge base...  

For the past few years, I have been making a unique piece of art out of wood that contains a typical looking religious cross as one of its components.  The uniqueness of the piece is its overall design and how it is assembled.  I have been manufacturing the product using a pattern I made and selling them a craft shows.  I know that my design has been attempted to be duplicated in the past.  I'm thinking of selling it commercially.   Is it possible to patent something like this?  Thank you for your insight.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Wood Art
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 1:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I believe that even if he kept the apparatus secret, by selling material produced using the apparatus to the public, he starts the clock on the 102(b) bar at least with respect to his own patenting efforts.
IP Logged

Isaac
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 2:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 25th, 2006, 1:57pm, Isaac wrote:
I believe that even if he kept the apparatus secret, by selling material produced using the apparatus to the public, he starts the clock on the 102(b) bar at least with respect to his own patenting efforts.

But, if no one was capable of proving/documenting that what he has already sold was produced by the method/apparatus being patented, this couldn't be held against him, no? (I realize this may be a moot point...and at the same time I guess that if he is able to patent the method, he would also have to be able to prove/document that infringers were copying the method for the patent to really be worth much)

Anyways, its worth noting that the design of E.L.'s artwork should already be subject to copyright protection, even if the scope of that protection is less than what could be possible as the result of a patent.

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2006, 2:25pm by CriterionD » IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Crackpot
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 3:49pm »

Boys, Boys, Boys ... shame!

Where does 35 USC 102b list public disclosure as a barring activity?
Public use does require public disclosure and does not require any determination of whether anyone saw the use.

Where does the inventor say he sold the items for years in the United States?
He says he has been making them for years. He does not specify a country where he sold the items.

35 USC 102b states:
A person shall be entitled to a patent unless -
the invention was patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country or in public use or on sale in this country, more than one year prior to the date of the application for patent in the United States, or ...

Expunge the concept of public disclosure from your vocabularies.

Inventor, has a 35 USC 102b event occurred?

For example, if you sold units of your invention at a craft show IN THE UNITED STATES, MORE THAN ONE YEAR AGO, then patentablity is lost for the inventive units.

You have wandered into a detail oriented field.
I don't believe you have provided enough information to determine whether patentability is lost.

Questions must be asked.
You say you manufactured and sold at craft shows.
Does this mean you manufactured at craft shows?
If your invention is a method of assembly, and you used this invention in public more than one year ago, then patentablity on your method of assembly is lost.

What's this "no one capable of proving/documenting" nonsense? Is someone conspiring to fail in their duties of disclosure?

Return to the path of the righteous and be saved from your devilish ways.

Ciao!

IP Logged
E. L. Shumaker
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 11:52am »

Thank you all for your input.  

I will admit that I do not fully understand all that you have presented.  I will explore the website some more and do some reading to hopefully better understand my options.

What I think I did come away with is that because my "work" has been in the public for over one year, I cannot get a patent on it.  As for the process of creating the "work", the door might be open for a patent if I did not display the making of the "work" in public. (which I have not).

Thanks again  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »