The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 21st, 2019, 5:52pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Worst IP Firms to Work For- ranking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Worst IP Firms to Work For- ranking  (Read 4332 times)
last_man_standing

Worst IP Firms to Work For- ranking
« on: Aug 10th, 2007, 1:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

O.k I've been looking into the rankings of IP firms for patent agents and I'm asking those of you who have experience at specific firms to post your opinions.  

Negative criteria can touch upon

1. Insane hours  
2. Negative work environment (politics, nasty people )
3. poor pay
4. No advancement potential

Yes, it only takes one bad manager to ruin a personal experience, but try to remain objective. My guess is the big firms with hundreds of attorneys are the worst. I'm stressing the work environment here, not the quality of patents (which may be high).
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Worst IP Firms to Work For- ranking
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 2:35pm »

on Aug 10th, 2007, 1:45pm, last_man_standing wrote:
My guess is the big firms with hundreds of attorneys are the worst. I'm stressing the work environment here, not the quality of patents (which may be high).

I doubt any of the big firms with 100s of attorneys combines crazy hours and poor pay.   My guess is that you can probably find that combination in a few very special firms that don't try to compete with the big boys.   The other two of your possible four could happen anywhere.

IP Logged

Isaac
I'm a Patent Agent
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 3:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a patent agent working for a big firm.
It's my best experience so far.
I've worked for several firms ... small, medium, large.

I haven't run into insane hours but for a few isolated projects. Those experiences are spread across the several firms.

Nasty politics was by far more present in the medium firm (three dozen attorneys).  I worked for a microfirm (two attorneys) where there was no politics ... but dictatorial rule by a benevolent king.  I don't like kings ... benevolent or no.

Poor pay : microfirm

No advancement potential : Are you kidding me? If you're a patent agent working for a law firm you have no advancement potential my friend. Every associate is your boss. Get used to it.

My recommendation overall:
Try to get a job with a large firm, having other patent agents, with a known name. You'll probably get the highest or at least competitive pay, will have a marketable distinction on your resume, and won't be the ice breaker ship trying to grind a patent agent's path through an unwielding frozen patent attorney landscape.

But about advancement potential ... there is none at firms for a patent agent. Look in house. Get experience at a big firm with a known name. In-house practices respect that experience.

I support the gist of Isaac's post ... not trying to speak for Isaac ...
Big firms have something to offer ... or they wouldn't be big.

Cheers and Good Luck Friend!
IP Logged
last_man_standing

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 12:47pm »

"grind a patent agent's path through an unwielding frozen patent attorney landscape."

Well, I suppose there's always law school. Sounds like in-house is the way to go. I wonder if the online law schools are worth a try. Apparently only California accepts their credentials at this point.

I can hear the roar of laughter from the real attorneys.  
IP Logged
kristin brooks
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14th, 2007, 10:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Shocked
The worst patent firm for me was Finnegan Henderson. This place was full of arrogant ass holes and racist pigs.  They made their money during the patent boom. But the SOB's are the meanest jerks around.

The environment was a bit competitive but soon they would pigeon hole you and make you feel like a cog in the wheel.  

I have worked at other general practice firms and the culture is corporate and no one is king or prince.  

Avoid this firm and don't get lured with the pay scale. The pay scale of 160 K for starters is the same in GP firms.  Also GP firms provide the opportunity to mix with other practices especially mergers and acquisitions group.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »