The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 20th, 2021, 7:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   USPTO or Firm? Career Advise
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: USPTO or Firm? Career Advise  (Read 1209 times)
rodney

USPTO or Firm? Career Advise
« on: Jun 17th, 2007, 11:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone coud help me.  Here is my dilemma:

I just graduated from law school in May and have a good job as a first year associate at large law firm on the east coast.  This is the first time I've done any prosecution work.  Because of a lack of experience, all my work takes ages to finish and all the work is done incorrectly.  I started work when I graduated and the stress of redoing work, getting yelled at, and spending at least 12 hours a day working including weekends has started to impact me mentally.  I understand that work would have it's challenges and there is a learning curve.

I was wondering if others have felt this same way.  Also, what if i were to leave this position to work at the USPTO as an examiner.  I know they provide training and I was thinking about going back and getting my masters in EE during this time.  

If i do go back and work as an examiner, what would be my prospects if I want to go back to the law firm environment?

any input is appreciated.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: USPTO or Firm? Career Advise
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 12:21pm »

This only partiallly answers your question, but FWIW I think one can read all the patents in the world, but that's no substitute for writing claims, drafting applications, and making arguments to the PTO.  Having said that, PTO experience will help you down the road.
You could also look for another law firm.  Being yelled at and working all those hours is not worth it.  Find a law firm that will help you learn and provide a mentoring environment.  Life's too short.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 4:22pm »

on Jun 17th, 2007, 11:16am, rodney wrote:
Hi.  I was wondering if anyone coud help me.  Here is my dilemma:

I just graduated from law school in May and have a good job as a first year associate at large law firm on the east coast.  This is the first time I've done any prosecution work.  Because of a lack of experience, all my work takes ages to finish and all the work is done incorrectly.  I started work when I graduated and the stress of redoing work, getting yelled at, and spending at least 12 hours a day working including weekends has started to impact me mentally.  I understand that work would have it's challenges and there is a learning curve.

I was wondering if others have felt this same way.  Also, what if i were to leave this position to work at the USPTO as an examiner.  I know they provide training and I was thinking about going back and getting my masters in EE during this time.  

If i do go back and work as an examiner, what would be my prospects if I want to go back to the law firm environment?

any input is appreciated.

Life is too short to suffer from anything. But you just got a job.  Think about a learning curve.  You may be doing great at work in few months.  

Also things just don't happen.  Think about how to resolve your difficulty in working with a partner(s).  Irrational people are everywhere and you would need to develop diplomatic skills dealing with those.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
pentazole

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 2:12pm »

The first year as a patent agent/attorney is the worst year in your career.  The learning curve is extremely steep, and in the end a lot of what you're learning, aside from the basics, is stylistic, and a conflict of style in itself between you and the training attorney will cause even more grief.  In your first year expect to work long hours, and to get a lot of your hours cut.  But you have to have the right attitude to survive, because once you're independent the job really becomes something else.  I have only been doing this a year as of last week, but I became independent quite rapidly.  Even so, I did reach a point a few months in where I wanted to pack up and leave.  Perseverence pays, as long as you are showing progress and feel you are advancing then you are doing fine.

That said, "yelling" and mental anguish has no room in the professional environment of a law firm.  It is supposed to be an environment of collaboration and intellectual exchange.  If yelling (ie abuse) is involved, then you may want to consider moving somewhere else.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »