The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 28th, 2021, 4:51am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Bar for 1L summer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Bar for 1L summer  (Read 3125 times)
AT
Patent Bar for 1L summer
« on: Jun 9th, 2007, 2:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Many people suggest taking the exam and getting it out of the way before law school starts. Will passing the bar help in any way for getting a firm job during 1L summer?
IP Logged
biopico

Re: Patent Bar for 1L summer
« Reply #1 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The answer may be arguable. But I sure think so.  If I have to select one out of two resumes (with similar background and GPA, etc)  and one passed the exam and the other doesn't, then I will choose the one who passed the exam.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Drew83

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 11:19am »

any other comments on this?

I've been accepted to one of the law schools in Chicago and I'm thinking of deferring for a year for the following reasons:

1.  I can take the patent bar (hopefully pass) before starting law school
2.  I currently work at an engineering company, so I will have more money to buy a place in chicago rather than throwing my money at rent for 3 years.

I was hoping that having the patent bar under my belt would definitely help me in getting a 1L summer position, since I will not be coming from a top school...
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 1:38pm »

Well, if I do buy a condo/one bedroom, I'll likely pay the mortgage with school loans and if needed dig into my savings.  I figure it would be a great investment while I'm in law school and when I graduate, I can either stay, rent it out, or sell it for profit.  

A lot of students go straight from undergrad and can't buy their own place, so they rent (I'm not a fan of renting).  I currently have been working and living at home for the past two years.  I figure one more year wont hurt.  Plus, I'll have the opportunity to travel overseas for a few months after taking the patent bar next year.

I know it's difficult to get in the top 15%.  I'm not saying that I won't, but it would be nice to have the patent bar on my resume, in case I dont make the top 15%.

I haven't deferred yet, but it is very tempting.  Although, finishing a year earlier is also very tempting.

Thanks for your comments.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 9:36am »

on Jun 12th, 2007, 1:38pm, Drew83 wrote:
Well, if I do buy a condo/one bedroom, I'll likely pay the mortgage with school loans and if needed dig into my savings. I figure it would be a great investment while I'm in law school and when I graduate, I can either stay, rent it out, or sell it for profit.

I won't comment on your financial reasons for deferring, but the patent bar related reasons aren't very compelling IMO.   Passing the patent registration exam is about 3-4 months of work.   Passing the test before or shortly after the fall semester starts is doable even now.

Further, without some prosecution experience, the registration itself isn't a huge differentiation over your patent bar eligble peers.  Now that the test is given nearly every day except holdays rather than only twice a year, getting registered is not a huge obstacle.  All smart, technically competent, law school grads are expected to pass the exam and nobody is going to let a new law school graduate sign anything anyway.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »