The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2019, 11:27pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Advice  (Read 13930 times)
bobloblaw

Re: Career Advice
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31st, 2007, 6:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 31st, 2007, 4:15pm, kn98 wrote:
Why not try going back to being a chem e?
I am currently a cheme and I was planning on finishing working for a year before starting law school.

Any advice?  I didn't think it was that hard to get into IP.

I am seriously thinking about going back to this route.  At this point, nothing seems like it's going to happen for me in the law.  I have tried not to be negative, but it's so hard when nothing I have tried seems to have worked.

I think what killed me was average grades at a T2.  Also, people tend to lump chem e/JDs in with chemistry/biochemistry/JDs (many of whome have PhDs as well).  There's one big time chem e/JD at my firm, but he's more into litigation than actual prosecution.
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31st, 2007, 10:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is it hard to get into IP?

It is always a function of demand. Look at the filing rates for your area of education. Assess the trend and make a guess as to the future demand.  

If your area is hot then it will be easier than if your area was stagnant.
IP Logged
kn98

« Reply #12 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 10:56pm »

Please keep me posted on your situation.
I am still debating on how to go about my future career.
Law interest me a lot, but financially I can't invest that much into law school if I am not going to see any benefits from it.

I hope everything works out well.  I thought a ChemE degree would have done a lot better.  Putting basic chem in the same sentence as ChemE is sad.
IP Logged
ptfrmnew
« Reply #13 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:25pm, plex wrote:
You might really want to pickup a year or two of patent examiner experience, that will, without a doubt open some doors to prosecution work. There are rumors, I haven't been able to confirm this first hand, that some firms are prejudiced against anyone who stays there longer than that.

Have you/anyone ever heard of someone not getting a job offer from an IP law firm because they worked at the patent office for more than 2 years?  This seems a little absurd.  Any reasoning behind this?

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #14 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:39pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:29pm, ptfrmnew wrote:
Have you/anyone ever heard of someone not getting a job offer from an IP law firm because they worked at the patent office for more than 2 years?  This seems a little absurd.  Any reasoning behind this?

I've never heard that first hand.  I work with several attorney/agents that were examiners for the better part of 5 years.  

But that said, it did seem to me that beyond about two years, the amount of relevant experience gained per year by examining decreases and firms might not be willing to give you full seniority credit for your time at the PTO.  That might be a particularly galling prospect for someone who was an attorney before joining the PTO.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »