The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 20th, 2020, 4:58am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Am I stupid to turn down law school?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Am I stupid to turn down law school?  (Read 2766 times)
Matthew
Re: Am I stupid to turn down law school?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 10:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 25th, 2007, 7:21pm, daven wrote:
Matthew, you say you have a bright future in engineering.  I'll go ahead and post this so you can refer back to it in a few years.. after you've been working in engineering.

You seem to be someone who enjoys new challenges and learning new things.  You might get lucky, but more than likely your job will become boring after a year or two.  You'll miss the challenge of college classes.  I believe you'll fall into a rut in engineering and will regret turning down law school.  Yea, you can always go back to school later but it gets tough to do the older you get.

In my opinion, you really are crazy to turn it down!  Suck it up for a few more years.Smiley

You don't think that IP/patent law is boring or that you can get stuck in a rut in it? I've heard that it can be really mundane.
IP Logged
jayg
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 8:17pm »

I am an IP attorney in a small midwestern law firm.  I graduated from law school in May 2006 and am pushing 6 figures.  I work around 60 hours per week.  I love my job.. it can be stressful when you have a week with multiple deadlines, but every job has its times like that.

Also, I worked as an EE for a year after undergraduate and absolutely hated it.  While I worked only 40 hours per week, those 40 hours went by a lot slower than the 60 I do now because the work was so monotonous, routine, and boring.  At my current position I am dealing with different issues on a daily basis
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #12 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

does this not apply to patent law?  It seems that over time, drafting patents can get slightly monotonous/boring...
IP Logged
bjr
« Reply #13 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 2:52pm »

"I realized the cold hard reality of big-firm life and could never find a single person that said they loved it. Many were suicidal at times. I have no desire to live in or near a major metropolitan area or work more than 50 hours/week. "

Neither law nor medicine are appropriate fields for you if you don't want to work 50 hours per week.  I suggest that you find a sugarmama.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 3:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I was finishing my PhD thesis many years ago, I was having lunch with a young scientist.  He was saying some of his frustration in his research.  At that time, I thought he was just an average scientist.

He got a nobel prize last year and I am changing my career to patent law.  

My point:  The nobel prize winner had a rewarding exp in his scientific career, but not for me.  So I am changing.    

What would be most rewarding in your career short term and/or long term?  Then GO FOR IT!

on Mar 1st, 2007, 10:48am, Drew83 wrote:
does this not apply to patent law?  It seems that over time, drafting patents can get slightly monotonous/boring...

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »