The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 3rd, 2020, 10:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   New Idea - Where to start ????????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Idea - Where to start ????????  (Read 1253 times)
ProfessorFudger

Email

New Idea - Where to start ????????
« on: Nov 7th, 2007, 8:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, how many have come up with an idea, then dismissed it, I know I have before, this time I am not, I am going to go the whol hog, register with dozens of forums, enquire to numerous companies with the knowhow of what to do and how to go about getting an idea, one I am not selling, but want to make a dream a reality, as I a dream gave me this idea. I have checked 100's of top companies, including Amazon. Ebay, Mothercare etc and cannot find this being sold ANYWHERE, the idea is simple, but will HELP mothers, will ensure children WANT to bath, and is not anywhere to be seen on the Internet. I work in a rubbish job and can't afford a lot, so what what be my best bet to get my idea turned into a reality.
IP Logged
MattB

mbycer   MBycer
Email

Re: New Idea - Where to start ????????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 11:39am »

I would say, file for a non-provisional application.  Try not to spend too much on attorney fees, make sure it is broad enough and explicit enough to cover your idea.

Once you are patent pending, start raising money, as you have one year to file a PCT and 30 months before the $$ must be spent to file in foreign countries.  Make your prototype(s), contact Chinese manufacturer (or other cheap venue) and mass produce.  Begin selling your product.  Make a well crafted patent notice letter to any new competitor who may infringe on your patent(s) and send them out as needed.

Once you've sold your first 100000 or so units you can quit your day job and/or hire your new staff.

Congrats and Good Luck!
IP Logged

Matthew L. Bycer
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.bycer.com
http://www.cvglaw.com
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 2:41pm »

I suggest that you start on a business plan.  There a plenty of books and articles that explain what is a business plan and how to write one.

Essentially a business plan is way to organize your thoughts on how you would convert your idea into a money making proposition.  You need to consider questions such as, what will you sell, to whom will you sell it, how will you manufacture it, how will you distribute it, how much capital do you need to get started, how long will it be before you have a positive cash flow, what staffing is required, and so forth.  It is likely that you will need professional advice, accounting, law, engineering, real estate, finance, etc.

Somewhere in that business plan should be a consideration of what intellectual property protection is desirable.  You may determine that a patent is desirable.  At that point you should probably contact a patent attorney or patent agent.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
ProfessorFudger

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 2:31am »

Hi thanks for the information, however I don't have money, Im not well off, I work full tim, I cant get credit, who really is going to help on this, I will make this happen though, I am now on a bout 10 different business forums, and already getting some sound advice! Your right about a business plan though, I am lookin ginto that as we speak. I do assure you though this is NOT sold anywhere, and already having spoken to mothers they have all seemed to think it is a great idea, some saying they would buy it if available, but again nothing close to it exists, and the daft thing is I came to the idea from a dream. Can this dream turn into realityHuh Time and patience will tell!
IP Logged
doug vagedes

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 6:36am »

Professor, I am looking for specific ideas to license and would like to learn more if that is a consideration for you.  A Non-Disclosure/Non-Compete is a good first step.  Please send me an email if you would like to discuss.

Thanks,  Doug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »