The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 27th, 2020, 6:01am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Non-toxic insect control device...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non-toxic insect control device...  (Read 1061 times)
Harry

WWW Email

Non-toxic insect control device...
« on: Nov 9th, 2006, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI Again...

I have developed a concept for a device that attracts insect (ants) and lures them into a simulated ant hill where they are dispatched effectively with out poisonous baits.  The concept came from a practical "experience" I had one afternoon when the ants came marching out of their hiding places in a single file to the "experience".  The product can be placed anywhere without fear of pets and children accidentally injesting undesirable materials.

I would like to sell the concept...  If an investor is interested I would like to complete a prototype for demonstration.

Regards

Harry
IP Logged

If you are interested in a license...you must know how to drive.
Harry

WWW Email

Re: Non-toxic insect control device...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 3:34am »

Hi all,  

Come on eh... think about it.  I can produce the same  "experience" for most of the common pests out there, surely there  would be an interest not only in our back yard but globally as well.   The template is set... now all that needs to be done is a prototype...

Comments?

Regards

Harry
IP Logged

JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 8:37am »

You have to understand exactly what patent practitioners do.  We don't really evaluate inventions.  We just do our best to build property rights around whatever inventions are brought to us.  We don't try to answer "Will it sell?"  We try to answer "is it novel and non-obvious?"

The analogy I like to use (particularly when people ask me to write up a license) is that a patent practitioner is more like an architect than a real estate broker.  You want property built to your specs?  You go to a patent practitioner.  You want to sell/license your property once it's been built?  You go to a licensing attorney.  You want market evaluation, a licensing attorney is about as close as you're going to get in the legal profession, but you might consider marketing/business consultants for that.

Your bug trap sounds great, but I honestly have no idea how big the market is for annual bug trap sales, how responsive the market is to new products, or how big a market share you can expect during the life of your patent (if you get one).  I'm not even sure where to begin to find any of that out.  Although, I do know some people who do that sort of thing.  Patent practitioners and licensing people run into each other from time to time, much like architects and real estate brokers sometimes cross paths.

Regards.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2006, 8:38am by JimIvey » IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 12:47pm »

on Nov 11th, 2006, 3:34am, Harry wrote:
Hi all,  

Come on eh... think about it.  I can produce the same  "experience" for most of the common pests out there, surely there  would be an interest not only in our back yard but globally as well.   The template is set... now all that needs to be done is a prototype...

Comments?

Regards

Harry

Thank you.  My comment is that it sounds as though you have conception, but you have not reduced your proposed invention to practice;  accordingly, the invention is probably not legally complete.  In my experience, few people are willing to pay money for incomplete inventions, myself included.

However, you sound confident, and I suspect you can build a prototype.  I propose that you build and test your invention.  If your proposed invention can effectively remove Formosan fireants, then you might become a famous inventor.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Harry

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2007, 8:31pm »

I did not realize the scope of the fire ant problem is in the US.  One documents states that 200 million was spent on year to come up with a solution and nothing worked.  Estimated loss of revenue was placed at 6.5 billion annually.  Man, it is a BIG problem.  I guess it makes economic sense now to finalize the prototype.  Thanks for your input.

Regards

Harry
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »