The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 30th, 2020, 9:22pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   patent lawyer search
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: patent lawyer search  (Read 2457 times)
S

patent lawyer search
« on: Jun 19th, 2006, 10:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello,
i dont kow if i should start a new thread or merge it withmy otrher one, but other smight have the same concern.  there is only one patent lawyer in my area, and i havent been able to get in contact with him.  i left a message as well, no reply.  i have 3 ideas/inventions and i want to discuss them with an experienced lawyer.  i am in illinois, so i can go to chicago possibly to talk to one.  but do some offer free consulting.  i have a lot of questions and i need answers and i know some charge, a lot.  i need free consulting and i cant afford to spend the fees for the forms and lawyer fees.  can you make a deal with the lawyer and give him/her, say, double the fees is the product is patented and is sold?  just make a deal?  
but i need an expert and someone trustworthy (dont want the lawyer stealing your ideas).  but like i mentioned, i really cant afford to spend all the fees yet.  i have three ideas and that would be alot of fees.  but maybe there is some discount if you do more tha one.  i dont know.  but are there patent lawyers only for certain fields or just patent lawyers for any field?  wow, so many questions.  
i am willing to travel most likely during august to meet with a patent lawyer, but idk when, where, and who.  i searched through the lawyer search on there are several in chiago, but i want one with a lot of experience and trustworthy and hopefully free consulting and hopefully cheap, if not, maybe we can cut out a deal.  i know im aksing for a lot, but i have no choice.  i am already in debt with school loans, but i want/need to get started on my three inventions.  well 2 are mine, one is my dad's but i want to actually implement the idea.  thank you.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: patent lawyer search
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 11:15am »

You don't have to meet a patent attorney face-to-face to go forward.  I have a number of clients I've never met.  Some call me from Singapore or India or Germany or whereever.  

As for free consultation, I don't know what to tell you to expect.  See, providing advice is how most patent practitioners feed their families and pay their rent or mortgage.  If they choose to talk to you for an hour or two without charging, that's a fairly personal decision and I'm not going to say what a practitioner ought to charge for initial consultation.  I would suggest  contacting anyone you think you might want to use and "interview" them to see if you'd like to hire them.  Most will go a ways before telling you that they'll have to charge you to go further.  Some may start the conversation by mentioning an initial consultation fee.  You can decide what to do from there.

But, one thing you must understand is that, somewhere down the line, someone will have to dedicate some serious resources to your idea for you to profit from it.  It's just not enough to articulate your great idea and wait for the checks to start pouring in.  It just doesn't happen that way.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 7:32pm »

I completely agree with Jim.

I believe that most Attorneys want to be retained prior to discussing the particulars about your invention.  They are very willing to keep the discussion broad and non-specific, because they may want to represent someone else that does want to retain their services.

Also please note that it is my understanding that a Patent practitioner must be "independant and uninterested" to represent someone as an Attorney or Agent.  Further, most state laws would preclude an attorney from representing someone for a piece of the pie that is not roughly the same as his fees and the like.  So, I can not accept a car worth $30k in exchange for a simple will, it is against the ethics rules for me to do so.

What I am saying is it may be hard to go to an attorney and arrange this.  Instead you can take your chances with a inventors service company.  They are private and not a part of the patent prosecution processes.  They can do pretty much what they want.   Good luck if that is the way you go.

Lastly,  you can propably arrange money through a capital investment firm.  They will lend on a precentage, and take a lein against the patent application.

IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 10:25pm »

on Jun 19th, 2006, 7:32pm, RMissimer wrote:

Lastly,  you can propably arrange money through a capital investment firm.  They will lend on a precentage, and take a lein against the patent application.

Well....you can....probably....but the app isn't guaranteed to be worth anything until the patent issues.  And then the patent isn't worth anything unless it refers to something that is marketable.  And even if your product is marketable, someone may need to invest a good deal of time and effort before the patent's potential value is realized.  

So given all that, you have to be able to persuade the investment firm that your patent app is truly worth investment, moreso than other patent apps or investment opportunities.  

In general, in the end, everything is easier said than done.   As Jim alludes to.

IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
S

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 11:04pm »

i believe the product is easily marketable, world-wide usage.  it will sell itself.  i have seen similar prodcust and similar uses but i wouldnt want them.  i came up with this on my own and i searched to see if similar products exist, and they do.  but mines is still different and more useful, and cheaper.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »